fix8:sed8



The interview with Martin Sane – the author of the project fix8:sed8

http://www.myspace.com/fix8sed8music
http://www.fix8sed8.com/


  • How long does it take to find the style an artist wants to create music in? You mentioned you practised with acoustic instruments first...
    Martin Sane: Basically, I am trying to realize the music in my head. These ideas are clearly influenced by the music I like and listen to. That is why I am making electronic music and not hip hop. And of course I might be influenced by certain bands as well. But it takes years and many albums to find a style that is definitely yours and everybody connects with your band. As the skills with the equipment improve, so does the understanding for the arrangement and the programming of songs.
    The other possibility is that the labelboss tells you your music has to sound like Suicide Commando in order to be played in clubs, and to sell many CDs. Then all you have to do is copy them like a clone and there you go--you now have "your" style ;-P
    The fact that I have played acoustic instruments before doesn´t have any impact on what I am doing now. I played the piano for many years, as well as the electric guitar, and I was always trying to compose my own music with them. When I started listening to electronic music it became very natural to me to try to make songs on my pc as well. But playing acoustic instruments before certainly helped me a lot, since I learned a lot about music itself, the harmonies, structures and it trained my hearing a lot.
  • If you were to point characteristic features of fix8:sed8 what would they be?
    Martin Sane: Diversity. You will find all kinds of electronic songs on the album. Dancy clubsongs, interlocked structures, atmospheric songs, or aggressive industrial songs. Sort of a kaleidoscope. But they all have certain aspects in common. This can be the excessive use of pads and samples, or just the fact they are all melodic and dark. Daniel Myer, who produced the CD with me, once said the thing the songs have in common are my bad vocals...I don`t remember but I am sure he was drunk. ;-P anyway, god bless the distortion and the unison :-)
  • What is “Humanophobia” basically about?
    Martin Sane: The artwork and the song “Killing Field” is dealing with the genocide by the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, in the late 1970’s. I travelled in Southeast-Asia for 4 months in 2003; the Tuol Sleng torture and interrogation-center in Pnomh Penh was the most shocking thing I have ever seen. About 20 000 people were tortured there and later killed at the nearby killing field. The pictures in the booklet are all from this location. Of course I don`t want to be a second Bono, but I thought this would be an interesting topic to deal with.
    In general my lyrics don`t really have a message, or deal with my screwed up life, or anything like that.
    For me music comes in first place. The lyrics are supposed to create a certain atmosphere that supports the music. Not the other way around. Sometimes that is achieved by using words that don`t even make any sense together. Basically like my answers here. ;-P
  • Where, in your opinion, is the world we live in heading to?
    Martin Sane: Well this is something I guess everybody could write a book about. If you don’t mind I will refer to what I think the EBM-scene is heading to.
    In times of MP3s and illegal downloading it is no surprise that creativity is getting less and less while thousands of Suicide Commando-clones are taking over the whole scene. Please don`t get me wrong, I am a big admirer of everything Johan has done so far. He is one of the pioneers. But since labels have a huge financial loss in the recent years most of them are pushing the bands to make commercial music. And since this is the most popular music these days, it is all we get to hear. For me this is the far worse consequence of the illegal downloading than the financial loss itself. Even though they are both connected of course. I personally have made my peace with this. For me as a newcomer it is not the worst thing that my music is spreading. And as long as there are people who appreciate a real CD and the artist`s efforts to make something special, it makes sense to continue printing CDs. Otherwise I guess the CD as an audio-medium will disappear sooner or later, such as the use of vinyl which is now a nostalgic icon, and the whole business will focus on downloads. The kids grow up with MP3s like I did with CDs. I never bought any vinyl. Who knows if kids will buy CDs at all in a few years.
  • Skinny Puppy you mention as one your main inspirations is known for highly theatrical and shocking performances. Is such stylistics close to you? And what about music: are more up to club tones or rather dark, gloomy sounds?
    Martin Sane: So far I don`t know what my performance will be like, or if I will play at all in the near future. But certainly blood, mud, dirt and gore a la Skinny Puppy would be something I would like. I don’t want to simply copy, but the options are limited. I hope people would mainly come to hear the music, but of course I want to entertain them as well. I`ll think of something cool. :-)
    I really like the second question! I definitely prefer the dark and gloomy songs such as “Monolith”, “Tranquillized” or ”Burial Ground”. As I said before, most bands want to (or have to) make songs for the clubs, and rarely does a band focus on what`s really dark. But of course I can`t make an album with slow atmospheric songs only, this would simply be too boring. Some harder or faster songs should be part of a good album. I guess from this category I like “Oblivion” best.
  • Many artists claim their music is a therapy for them or a weapon against absurd of surrounding world. What about you?
    Martin Sane: Lol. Bands really say that? Okaaaay…no seriously, I make music because it is fun. And simply to have something to listen to. I really like listening to “Humanophobia”. A little less now because I am working on new stuff, but still every now and then. And it is the best feeling ever when the song is finally completed and your creativity took shape in something you can hear and listen to. Or even hold it in your hands if it is the whole CD. A fantastic feeling of satisfaction. I hope this response is not too “unspectacular”…if it is, then I am of course making music because I had a terrible childhood in the slums of Frankfurt and music is the only way to escape into my own little world where daddy can`t hit me and the my heroin-addiction doesn't control me ;-P
  • What are your future plans? Any new releases ?
    Martin Sane: I really hope I will publish my new CD by the end of this year. I actually put myself a bit under pressure. So far it is going well and I am sure there will be one or two songs on compilations before the CDs comes out.
    Apart from that I will think of a concept for the liveshow and maybe play 2 or 3 shows this year. But no tour or anything like that. By the time I will play live I´ll hopefully have some new songs done, so that the setlist will be longer. Then I’ll have the chance to introduce the new material to the audience. I would really love to play a show with Necro Facility one day. They are my favourite band right now. They are the proof that you can successfully make fantastic intelligent music these days. If I could ever achieve that I´d be fine – despite my terrible childhood and my heroin-addiction. ;-P
    POLSKA WERSJA
    Wywiad z Martinem Sane, twórcą projektu fix8:sed8

    http://www.myspace.com/fix8sed8music
    http://www.fix8sed8.com/
    • Jak długo artysta szuka swojego stylu? Wspominałeś, ze najpierw miałeś do czynienia z instrumentami akustycznymi...
      Martin Sane: Muzyka rodzi się i rozwija w mojej głowie. Na pomysły ma wpływ muzyka którą lubię i której słucham. Dlatego tworzę muzykę elektroniczną, a nie hip hop. Oczywiście mają na mnie wpływ także inne zespoły. Ale znalezienie stylu, który można nazwać swoim i który ludzie łączą z twoim zespołem to wiele przesłuchanych albumów i lat poszukiwań. Wraz z wzrostem umiejętności obchodzenia się ze sprzętem rośnie zrozumienie aranżacji i programowania utworów.
      Inna możliwość jest taka: szef labelu mówi ci, że masz brzmieć jak Suicide Commando po to aby puszczali twoją muzykę w klubach i żeby twoje płyty się dobrze sprzedały. Więc jedyne co musisz zrobić to skopiować ich i już – masz swój „własny„ styl ;-P
      To, że grałem kiedyś na instrumentach akustycznych nie ma żadnego wpływu na to co robię obecnie. Przez wiele lat grałem na pianinie i na gitarze elektrycznej, próbowałem też komponować muzykę przy użyciu tych instrumentów. Kiedy zacząłem słuchać muzyki elektronicznej naturalne było, że podjąłem próby tworzenia piosenek na komputerze. Mimo to gra na instrumentach akustycznych bardzo mi pomogła w tym sensie, że nauczyłem się wiele o muzyce jako takiej, harmonii, strukturach i dodatkowo wyćwiczyłem słuch.
    • Gdybyś miał wskazać charakterystyczne cechy fix8:sed8 to jakie by one były?
      Martin Sane: Różnorodność. Na albumie można znaleźć wszelkie rodzaje elektronicznych utworów: taneczne, klubowe, takie o zazębiającej się strukturze, klimatyczne i agresywne industrialne. Coś w rodzaju kalejdoskopu. Jednakże wszystkie mają pewne cechy wspólne: częste użycie podkładów i sampli oraz fakt, że wszystkie są melodyjne i mroczne. Daniel Myer, który produkował album wraz ze mną powiedział kiedyś, ze tym co łączy wszystkie jest mój kiepski wokal... nie pamiętam, ale jestem pewien, że byłem pijany ;-P w każdym razie, niech bóg błogosławi zniekształcenia i unisono :-)
    • O czym ogólnie rzecz biorąc jest “Humanophobia” ?
      Martin Sane: Grafika i utwór “Killing Field” jest o ludobójstwie popełnionym przez Czerwonych Khmerów w Kambodży, pod koniec lat siedemdziesiątych. Podróżowałem po południowo-wschodniej Azji przez cztery miesiące w 2003 roku; muzeum Tuol Sleng i centrum przesłuchań w Pnomh Penh były najbardziej szokującymi rzeczami jakie w życiu widziałem. Około 20 000 ludzi było tam torturowanych a następnie zabitych na pobliskim polu śmierci. Zdjęcia w książeczce zostały zrobione w tamtym miejscu. Oczywiście, nie chcę być drugim Bono, ale wydawało mi się, że to interesujący temat i zająłem się nim.
      Ogólnie, moje teksty nie mają konkretnego przekazu, nie opisują też mojego spieprzonego życia czy czegoś w tym rodzaju.
      Dla mnie muzyka jest najważniejsza, zadaniem tekstów jest wytworzenie pewnej atmosfery, która wzmocni muzykę. Nie na odwrót. Czasem ten efekt jest osiągany przez użycie słów, które zestawione razem nie mają sensu. Coś jak moje odpowiedzi tutaj ;-P
    • Dokąd, Twoim zdaniem, zmierza nasz świat?
      Martin Sane: Wydaje mi się, ze na ten temat każdy mógłby napisać książkę. Powiem raczej dokąd, moim zdaniem, zmierza scena EBM.
      W czasach MP3 i nielegalnego ściągania muzyki nikogo nie dziwi, że kreatywność podupada a tysiące klonów Suicide Commando przejmują scenę. Nie zrozum mnie źle, podziwiam wszystko co Johan zrobił do tej pory. Jest jednym z pionierów. Ale odkąd wytwórnie notują duże starty w ostatnich latach większość z nich przymusza zespoły do tworzenia muzyki komercyjnej, a ponieważ to jest najpopularniejsza obecnie muzyka, taką też dostajemy do słuchania. Jak dla mnie, to jest znacznie gorsza konsekwencja nielegalnego ściągania muzyki niż straty finansowe, chociaż, oczywiście, obie są powiązane ze sobą.
      Ja osobiście pogodziłem się z tym. Dla mnie, jako nowicjusza, to nie jest najgorsza forma dla rozprzestrzeniania sie mojej muzyki. Tak długo jak są ludzie, którzy doceniają prawdziwe płyty i wysiłek artystów żeby stworzy coś specjalnego jest sens wydawać płyty. W innym przypadku płyty, jako media, znikną wcześniej czy później podobnie jak winyle, które obecnie są nostalgicznymi ikonami, a cały biznes skoncentruje się na downloadach. Dzieciaki dorastają na MP3 tak jak ja na płytach. Nigdy nie kupiłem żadnego winylu. Kto wie czy dzieci będą kiedykolwiek kupować płyty.
    • Skinny Puppy, zespół, który wymieniasz jako jedną ze swoich głównych inspiracji, jest znany z niezwykle teatralnych i szokujących koncertów. Czy taka stylistyka jest Ci bliska? A co z muzyką? Czy idzie ona bardziej w kierunku dźwięków klubowych czy raczej mrocznych?
      Martin Sane: Na razie nie wiem jak będą wyglądać koncerty i czy w ogóle jakieś nagram w najbliższej przyszłości. Ale z cała pewnością krew, błoto i brud a la Skinny Puppy są czymś czego mógłbym sobie życzyć. Nie chce po prostu kopiować, ale wybór jest raczej ograniczony. Mam nadzieję, że ludzie przyjdą przede wszystkim posłuchać muzyki, ale oczywiście chcę ich również zabawić. Wymyślę coś fajnego :-)
      Podoba mi się drugie pytanie! Zdecydowanie wolę mroczne utwory, takie jak “Monolith”, “Tranquillized” czy ”Burial Ground”. Tak jak powiedziałem, większość zespołów woli (lub musi) tworzyć utwory pasujące do klubów i niezmiernie rzadko koncentrują się na tym co mroczne. Ale naturalnie, nie mogę zrobić albumu złożonego wyłącznie z klimatycznych utworów, to byłoby po prostu zbyt nudne. Pewne mocniejsze i szybsze utwory powinny się składać na dobry album. Z tej kategorii moim faworytem jest “Oblivion”.
    • Wielu artystów twierdzi, że tworzenie muzyki jest dla nich formą terapii lub bronią przeciwko absurdowi otaczającego świata. a jak jest w Twoim przypadku?
      Martin Sane: Lol. Zespoły naprawdę tak twierdzą? Okaaaay…nie, poważnie, robię muzykę dla przyjemności. I po prostu po to, aby mieć coś do słuchania. Naprawdę lubię słuchać albumu “Humanophobia”. Teraz trochę mniej, ponieważ pracuję nad nowym materiałem ale i tak od czasu do czasu go włączam. To wspaniałe uczucie, kiedy utwór jest już gotowy i twoja kreatywność przybiera kształt czegoś czego możesz posłuchać. A nawet potrzymać w rękach jeśli jest to cała płyta. Uczucie niesamowitej satysfakcji. Mam nadzieję, że ta odpowiedz nie jest zbyt mało “spektakularna”.. jeśli jest, to powiem tak: miałem okropne dzieciństwo w slamsach Frankfurtu i muzyka była dla mnie jedyna ucieczką do mojego małego świata gdzie tatuś nie mógł mnie uderzyć i moje uzależnienie od heroiny nie miało nade mną kontroli ;-P
    • Jakie sa Twoje przyszłe plany? Planujesz wydac coś nowego ?
      Martin Sane: Mam nadzieję, że uda mi się wydać nowy album do końca roku. Właściwie narzuciłem sobie pewne tempo. Jak dotąd idzie dobrze i jestem pewien, ze zanim wyjdzie album kilka piosenek znajdzie się na składankach.
      Oprócz tego zastanawiam się nad koncepcją koncertów i, może, dwoma, trzema koncertami w tym roku. Ale nie w ramach trasy, czy coś w tym stylu. Mam nadzieję, że zanim zacznę koncertować będę miał jakieś nowe utwory gotowe, tak, że setlista będzie dłuższa. W takim wypadku będę miał okazję zaprezentować nowy materiał publiczności. Któregoś dnia chciałbym zagrać koncert z Necro Facility, którzy w tym momencie są moim ulubionym zespołem. Są dowodem na to, że w dzisiejszych czasach można tworzyć fantastyczną, inteligentną muzykę. Jeśli mógłbym to kiedyś osiągnąć byłbym zadowolony – pomimo mojego okropnego dzieciństwa i heroinowego nałogu. ;-P

Popular Posts