Electro Prague Festival vol 8

If you've been in Prague at least once you probably know that it's enough to walk across the Market Square or Charles Bridge to experience the multicultural diversity ... it's quite similar with Electro Prague Festival , though perhaps in a smaller dimension: the Czech, German, Ukrainian and Polish (yeah, feel like recognizing my national identity today:)
It was a fine event, though there were some nasty moments too... but let's make it orderly and start form the beginning.


Traditionally, the event took place in the club Matrix; the first gig was played by Jungle Rats, a band being a side-project of Tear ( I believe some of you remember them as they played at Castle Party – they were those wearing orange ties – and do not take them for Funker Vogt:) .
I didn't make it for the beginning of the gig, but from what I saw I can say they sound and look proportionally to their experience – that means rather poorly (yet). The vocalists were chatting and laughing (were they making the setlist up onstage or what?:) and though the guitars worked really fine, the whole sounded ( and looked – those jeans! :) more like a rehearsal than a real gig ( but who knows, perhaps we walked into a sound check and not a gig anyway:):):)

Next on the stage were my absolute faves of the Fest – [ERROR::GENESIS] – 'faves' quite unexpectedly I must say, because I hadn't had a chance to listen to them earlier and still they won my ears.
[ERROR::GENESIS] that is Dj Gargarroth (vocal), Joshua Olsenberg (guitar, sound mastering) and Alexander Morte (syths, fx), - there were only two of them playing – make great, vivid electro industrial, a bit in style of Hocico (distorted vocal and power). It was like a harsh creature that sounds very dynamically and consistently. Their fine gig made me stand on my feet again ( and then get me off them :)
Alexander performed in an extravagant costume ( a kinda tunic of stripes, sunglasses and a flying cap) which looked.. hmm.. intriguing :) You'll have the chance to see the machine working at Castle Party 2008.

http://error-genesis.kiev.ua/
http://www.myspace.com/errorgenesis

And then there was a time for Days of Fate to enter the festival game. Honestly speaking I have a problem writing about the concert as my impressions were kinda mixed: the Czech audience seemed like outfreaked by their music and I was standing there and just staring, staring, staring...until it „clicked'' (luckily enough it did... somewhere in the middle of the concert :) I don't know what actually stopped me from enjoying the first half of the concert – the sound, the artists' deadpan physiognomies ( but not Dirk's :) or some sort of image discrepancy of the band? Dunno really... it might have been connected with the fact that DOF warmed themselves up quite slowly on the stage so it wasn't before “Master of Disaster” that I could feel what's their music is all about.
Of positives – the music sounded well enough to move the audience, it included a fair dose of guitars and synth note backing the emotional and quite powerful vocal ( or vocals as there were times Torsten and André were singing together in a somewhat a dialog, which moments, I think, were the biggest advantages of their show making the band sound vividly and energetically).
On the whole it was a blend of rock and alternative making the two meet somewhere half way. Yes, the 'half ways' is the only serious grain of salt I'd put here : what I missed about the gig was an original, individual note that would strike me in the eye and scream „Days of Fate” and mark 'we're different from all the other rock/alternative bands because:....'
Well, but that's me writing this and I don't have a long history with the band, so perhaps all the distinctive features are yet to see.

Full setlist:
share a moment * nervous times / the time is right * rising again * lonely people * home-made cake of the day * x-pose * master of disaster * greatness * quicksand * bitter end * final destination

encore:
bizarre love triangle
perfect time

http://www.myspace.com/daysoffate
http://www.daysoffate.com/

Just after the encore and the expressions of mutual fondness between the band and the audience had ended I had a chance to learn a lesson whose topic was „organizing gigs is a pain that only few can stand”. The headliner of the fest Magnetik canceled his concert the last possible moment which in consequence made the organizer return part of the money to the people, so I assume his happiness was infinite...you know, I don't want to go into details here, but what I'd like to say is that in my humble opinion the matter of professionalism lies not in standing the organizer and the audience (who, as it happened, came to see that particular artist) up ...and of the rest the wind in the willows will rustle.

The final was reserved for a real treat – Anhedonia - and their marvelous ambient/industrial soundscapes and hypnotic visuals (and as an extras – a spontaneous dance show of the two ladies in the front:) It was trance and very stylish : at times the sounds scoped full attention with their rapacious character, the other enchanted with gently interwoven fragile tones. The music of the project Anhedonia is a bit like a stained glass: it either hides in darkness and requires you to come closer to see its shape or bursts with colors in full light. All in all it was a strong ending of the festival part.

http://www.myspace.com/anhedoniacz

Later there was an afterparty, but we managed to stay just at the part of DJ Vitaly Stranger's set ( yap, Chorna Rada is doing fine so are its representatives:) so I don't know what it looked like afterwards, but I assume the way it always looks in Prague – no wild crowds at the dance floor ;)

That's basically what it was; if everything goes according to the plan, the edition will take place on 19th July, just before Castle Party.

http://www.myspace.com/electropraguefestival
http://www.electroprague.com/

And of course - meeting Night Side and Cz.Sanctuary guys is always our highlight – thanx a lot :)!!

Popular Posts