Bread


My grandmother taught me to cook.
Actually she didn't know she did and neither did I.


I was just watching her preparing dinners, cakes, desserts, jams etc.  and sometimes she would let me help. 

She was an excellent cook, a really gifted person - not only in cooking itself, but also in the art of receiving guests, looking after people, healing. Her home smelled with apple pie, freesias and furniture polish. It was warm and safe.

I remember the family meetings where 15 or 20 people were invited and there was room for everybody even though my grandparents' living room was not a palace chamber.

The atmosphere of those meetings was unforgettable.
Cannot imagine doing the same thing nowadays. Not only because of logistics, but also due to the fact people's mentality changed.

But ad rem - one day I just discovered I can cook. That I can cook quite well. I just took the ingredients and there - a cake, a bake, you name it.

Kneading dough for bread is a highly sensual activity. The dough is soft and while you knead it with your hands it takes your natural perfume to get its final touch. It makes me realize that cooking is a highly intimate activity. Especially if you cook for those you love.

And one more thing: that food is about feelings. 

Hopefully positive ones - both in stomach and head.

Stay healthy, don't diet too much ;)

Karo

Popular Posts