The interview with Daniela Vorndran





Life without passion is just watching the days go by. But whilst you live by your passion, you invigorate and inspire everything and everyone around.
Well, that's how I feel about my today's guest.
 I could just say that Daniela Vorndran is one of the best concert photographers nowadays with the established name and portfolio, publishing in Reflections of Darkness, Sonic Seducer and Dark Moments to name just a few, but that would be just too plain to describe that awesome lightning photo-pit queen. 
Instead I'd say she is one of my most inspiring friends. 
She was one of the first persons I had a contact with when I started writing, promoting  and taking pictures. She constantly  encouraged,  inspired and motivated me by the very attitude, hard work and devotion she presented during her work. 
 She's a living, breathing (and photographing:)  proof that if you're consistent and determined you may achieve a lot. 
She has, indeed.
A short one-to-one with Dani.


POLSKA WERSJA poniżej



 1. Dani, majority of the festivals I've been to bring associations with you being in the photo pit. How long has it been and how it actually happened that you started taking pictures in the first place?

I started taking pictures in my childhood already when I got a little film camera from my dad. It was just fun for a long time. The in 1998 I brought a 35mm film camera to a Depeche Mode concert (my favourite band) to take a few pics for myself as memory. Of course, you couldn’t see anything on a single one. Just a few shadows making you think there might be a person on the pic. It did not imagine that taking pics on a concert could be so difficult. This failure awakened my ambition. I brought this camera to several smaller concerts to improve. With the time passing, the pics got better. In 2003 I changed this film camera for a small digital 35mm camera and started taking pics on concerts with that one. The pics got better and soon I got in contact with bands I photographed and with tour managers etc. Obviously they liked what I was doing and I got first accreditations for concerts. I was even at M’era Luna 2004 with this small camera and took pictures, one of them ending even on a cover of a UMBRA ET IMAGO CD. End of 2004 I met some Dutch people who were just starting up a webzine, Reflections of Darkness (which I own by now) and asked me to join. Building the webzine up with them was more or less also the start of my career as music photographer.


2. What do you find the most inspiring about being a concert photographer?

I am passionate for photography. And I love music so much. I could not imagine a life without music. Combining those two things I love so much is just amazing. I love to visualize the mood of a concert, to trigger emotions within the viewers of my pics, memories for the concert. I love to work with the changing lights on stage, with the interactions between musicians and the audience, I love to capture the action and power on stage. Taking concert photographs never gets boring for me, even though there are bands I took pics of a dozen times.


3. Do you have any favourite bands (apart from Depeche Mode:) that you like photographing?

Maybe not my favourite bands when it comes to music, but there are many interesting bands (where I in parts also like the music a lot) I’d love to take pics of. One of them was LINKIN PARK, but that’s too late sadly. But there are a few more names: Robbie Williams, Muse, Metallica, U2, Coldplay, just to name a few.


4. Have you ever tried photo shooting sessions with bands?

Of course. Occasionally, I do promo shoots with bands. For example with a band from my home town, BURN. Others are i.e. BEYOND OBSESSION or DEAD GUITARS. New ones are planned and there will be more in future, when my time allows.


5. If you could describe your "career path" what would it look like?

It is a dream to work as professional music photographer full time. Hard nowadays. A dream would be to travel around the world, work directly for bands, take pictures of their great shows, do shoots for CD or DVD releases, promotional pictures and so on. But it doesn’t mean I am unhappy with the way I am doing it now, besides my daily job. Now, I am not dependent from the need to earn money with my pictures and I can chose which bands I like to photograph.


6. How does working for Sonic Seducer differ from working for your own label (Black Cat) or a webzine such as Reflections of Darkness?

Working for print media and a monthly magazine like Sonic Seducer means that you only need to deliver 1-2 pics per band usually. And usually you do not need to be as fast as with online media. The good thing is that you do not need to care for accreditations and conversations with promoters. It is much more work if you need to organize anything by yourself. Checking, who is the right contact person to send your request to, previews for the shows, doing promotions so there is a reason why you need accreditation. I would sometimes be happy if I could just take concert pictures for bands, have all freedom I need. Being there as press photographer always 8at least at bigger concerts) means a lot of restrictions.


7. What are the biggest obstacles the photographer may come across while working in the field?

As I already mentioned in the answer before, there are many restrictions if you are an accredited press photographer. There usually is the rule that only pictures during the first three songs are allowed from the pit. Sometimes not even that, you are placed at the FOH or even further away or have less songs. Usually at bigger shows, you have to leave the venue or at least get the camera out of the venue. Besides, contracts are getting more common for bigger bands. Some contracts I would never sign because of their conditions like full transfer of all copyrights so the band gets all pics and can do with them what they like and you won’t ever get payed for it. Technically, sometimes it is very tough because of very high stages or too little light on stage. Sometimes you have the feeling bands dim their lights during first three songs and afterwards, when all photographers are gone, they show the power of their light show. You also have to deal with crazy fans sometimes because you are standing in front of them for a while. Within small clubs, the difficulty might be that there is no photo pit at all and you have to take pics out of the audience area. Quite difficult when it is really crowded or there is a lot of jumping i.e.


8. Realizing your dreams is not always easy. I remember that after the festival season each summer I would feel exhausted even though I was extremely happy. I know it requires some determination to build your name in the environment. What does it take to get where you are in your view?

Work, a lot of work! And passion. Many nights with too little sleep. Permanent learning. To stay on the ball so your name is always present. I spent most of my spare time during past years mostly for the webzine and my photography to achieve what I have now. I lost sight of my friends sometimes in the past. But I am happy to have great people around me always supporting me and being never angry that I had so little time. Do I regret the past? Not a single moment, even though there are time when I ask myself wherefore I am doing all this. But I know I cannot go without. I still put a lot of energy and time into my photography. I just love it!


9. Do you feel the gothic scene - meaning the bands and the audience - has changed the past 10 years at all? Have you changed while being a part of it?

Let’s start with myself. I think my musical taste has expanded over the years. I am more open for new influences, new bands. As for the scene, I think it is getting older and older. My personal feeling is that not so many young people join the scene and the older ones prefer staying at home someday. And if there are bands with new influences, they have a hard job being accepted by the majority of the scene. But I am happy there are new bands, great bands like KITE, HENRIC DE LA COUR, LEGEND or AGENT SIDE GRINDER, just to mention a few of my favourites. Visually, the scene is getting more colourful.


10. What are the things that make you happy and fulfilled?

When it comes to my photography, when bands tell me they love my work and when people tell me they feel the music and the concert once again when looking at my pictures. Apart from photography, there are a lot of things making me happy. I love being around my friends, going out dancing, to a restaurant or cinema. I love just being in nature, feeling all its beauty. I love good food and cooking. I love reading a good book or watching a great movie. I love such small things like listening to birds in the morning or watching a thunder storm. I think you can find happiness and fulfilment in the little things around you. One of the best things I read recently is: Don’t look for the perfect moment, just make every moment perfect. That says it all ☺





11. I once read that only those people who devote themselves for their goal completely really reach it. Do you agree? Or can one actually be a part-time photographer (or a musician or a cook for that matter:) to achieve real success?

I think devoting completely to your goal does not mean you devote you full time to it but your heart and your soul. And that’s what I am doing. I think if I am struggling to earn a living with my photography and have to take any job just to earn money, how can I create the art I want to? As it is now for me, I have my safe income and am free to decide what to take pics of. No need to earn money with my pictures so I can freely work. I prefer that instead of hunting down photo jobs to pay my rent and have some food. Devoting me to my photography comes from the inside, from my feelings and not how much time I spend taking pictures. In fact, I fear after all I spend more time for my photography and my magazine than for my day job anyway ;)


12. ...and what brings me to the question what "real success" means to you personally?

Success for me is not earning a shitload of money with my pictures (of course this would be nice though ;) ) but building up a good reputation as photographer for band and live photography. Having my name mentioned first when band speak about good live photographers i.e. Or if people tell me that I am their favourite live photographer, that they love my pics.


13. Do you have a particular book or a movie that is important to you? That influenced you in a way?

There are a few such movies. I like the dark and apocalyptic atmosphere in such movies like Dark City or Pitch Black. I think somehow I integrated such moods into my picture editing. I like black and white live pictures with high contrasts where the action and emotions shown in artists’ and people’s faces are more important than colourful light effects.


14. You mentioned you like just enjoying the moment the nature - is there any particular place that make you feel like "at home"?

Yeah, there is such a spot. Very close to where I live is a little wood (really little) with a small meadow, a wonderful huge tree and a bench under this tree. I like to sit there, feel the sun and the wind and listen to the sounds of nature.


15. Last but not least -what are the things you would still want to achieve?

This refers a little to the career question and what bands I still want to take pics of. I really want the big bands. And not only as press photographer but booked by the band so I can really show my qualities. There are so many ideas for pictures at big (or small) shows I only can implement when I have artistic freedom during a show, when there are no limitations on time of area from where to shoot.

-. .POLSKA WERSJA


 
Mogłabym po prostu powiedzieć że Daniela Vorndran jest obecnie jedną z najlepszych fotografek koncertowych, z ugruntowanym nazwiskiem i portfolio, publikującą dla takich magazynów jak Reflections of Darkness, Sonic Seducer czy Dark Moments , ale to byłoby zbyt mdłe jak na tą królową pitu dla fotografów.
Powiem więc, że jest jedną z najbardziej inspirujących mnie osób.
To właśnie z nią jako jedną z pierwszych miałam styczność kiedy sama zaczęłam pisać fotografować czy robić zdjęcia. Zawsze mnie dopingowała, motywowała i inspirowała - samo patrzenie z jakim poświęceniem i pasją pracuje dawało kopa.
Jest żywym dowodem na to że wytrwałość i determinacja sprawiają, że można osiągnąć bardzo wiele.
Tak jak ona.


Krótkie spotkanie z  Dani.



1. Dani, uczestniczysz w większości festiwali muzycznych. Jak długo już pracujesz i jak to się właściwie zaczęło?

Zaczęłam fotografować w dzieciństwie kiedy mój tata podarował mi aparat analogowy. Przez długi czas to była tyko zabawa. W 1998 roku zrobiłam pamiątkowe zdjęcia 35 mm aparatem dla siebie na koncercie Depeche Mode (mój ukochany zespół). Oczywiście nic nie było widać na tych zdjęciach oprócz jakichś cieni sugerujących, że ktoś się na nich może znajdować. Nie zdawałam sobie sprawy jak trudne jest robienie zdjęć na koncertach. Porażka pobudziła moją ambicję. Zabrałam ten sam aparat na kilka innych koncertów dla zdobycia praktyki. Z czasem zdjęcia się poprawiły. W 2003 roku zamieniłam aparat analogowy na cyfrowy.
Jakość zdjęć znacznie wzrosła i wkrótce zaczęłam się kontaktować z zespołami, managerami itd. Spodobała im się moja praca i zaczęłam otrzymywać akredytacje. Wzięłam ten mój mały aparat nawet na M’era Lune 2004 i jedno z nich znalazło się na okładce płyty UMBRA ET IMAGO. Pod koniec 2004 poznałam Holendrów, którzy właśnie zaczynali tworzyć webzine, Reflections of Darkness (którym zarządzam do tej pory) i poprosili mnie abym dołączyła. Tworzenie webzinu wraz z nimi było początkiem mojej kariery jako fotografa koncertowego.


2.
Co Cię najbardziej inspiruje w pracy z fotografią koncertową?

Pasjonuję się fotografią. I bardzo kocham muzykę. Nie wyobrażam sobie życia bez muzyki. Połączenie dwóch rzeczy, które tak bardzo kocham jest po prostu wspaniałe. Uwielbiam pokazywać klimat koncertu, wywoływać określone emocje, wspomnienia u osób oglądających moje zdjęcia. Bardzo lubię pracować ze zmiennym koncertowym światłem, obserwować interakcje między muzykami i widownią, wychwytywać ruch i energię płynącą ze sceny. Robienie zdjęć podczas koncertów nigdy mnie nie nuży pomimo tego, że niektóre zespoły widziałam już masę razy.


3. Czy masz jakieś ulubione zespoły (poza Depeche Mode:) które szczególnie lubisz fotografować?

Może nie ulubione pod względem muzycznym, ale jest kilka zespołów, które bardzo lubię fotografować.
Jednym z nich był LINKIN PARK,ale na robienie ich zdjęć jest już za późno niestety. Inne to między innymi: Robbie Williams, Muse, Metallica, U2, Coldplay,


4.
Czy kiedykolwiek robiłaś sesje fotograficzne z zespołami?

Oczywiście. Od czasu do czasu zajmuję się zdjęciami reklamowymi dla zespołów., np. z zespołem z mojego rodzinnego miasta - BURN. Inne to, na przykład: BEYOND OBSESSION czy DEAD GUITARS. Mam w planach więcej o ile czas pozwoli.


5.
Gdybyś mogła opisać swoją „ścieżkę kariery” to jakby ona wyglądała?

Być fotografem koncertowym na pełen etat to moje marzenie. Ale to bardzo trudne w dzisiejszych czasach. Chciałabym podróżować po świecie, pracować bezpośrednio dla zespołów, robić zdjęcia na wspaniałych wydarzeniach, robić sesje do albumów czy DVD, lub zdjęcia stricte promo. Ale to nie znaczy że jestem nieszczęśliwa fotografując i pracując na etacie. W ten sposób jestem niezależna, nie zarabiam na zdjęciach i mogę wybierać zespoły, które chcę fotografować.


6. W jaki sposób praca dla magazynu Sonic Seducer różni się od pracy nad własną marką (Black Cat) czy webzinem takim jak Reflections of Darkness?

Praca dla miesięcznika jakim jest Sonic Seducer oznacza, że zazwyczaj wymaga się dostarczenia tylko 1 – 2 zdjęć danego zespołu. A także, że nie trzeba działać tak szybko jak w wypadku mediów internetowych. Nie trzeba też starać się o akredytacje i negocjować z organizatorami, co znacznie upraszcza pracę. Sprawdzanie, kto jest osobą kontaktową, przygotowywanie zapowiedzi, promocja i tak dalej jest konieczne dla zdobycie akaredytacji. Czasem czuję, że byłabym szczęśliwsza gdybym mogła zająć się tylko fotografowaniem, mieć wolność jakiej potrzebuję. Bycie fotografem prasowym na dużych koncertach oznacza także dużo ograniczeń.
7. Jakie są największe wyzwania jakie napotyka fotograf pracując „w terenie”?

Tak jak już wspomniałam jeśli jest się akredytowanym fotografem jest wiele obostrzeń. Zazwyczaj jest zasada, że zdjęcia można robić z fosy tylko podczas trzech pierwszych utworów. Czasem nawet nie aż tyle, fotografujesz od proscenium, albo nawet musisz cofnąć się jeszcze dalej, lub jest mniej czasu. Zazwyczaj na większych koncertach musisz opuścić miejsce lub wynieść aparat. Poza tym, coraz częściej pojawiają się umowy – zwłaszcza w przypadku większych zespołów. Niektórych nigdy bym nie podpisała, ponieważ cedują one prawa autorskie do zdjęć na zespoły całkowicie bezpłatnie.
Czasem jest też trudno czysto technicznie – sceny są bardzo wysokie, albo jest bardzo mało światła. Czasem mam wrażenie, że niektóre zespoły celowo wygaszają światła na czas pierwszych utworów a później, kiedy nie ma już fotografów prezentują cały świetlny show. Trzeba tez radzić sobie z szalejącymi fanami kiedy stoi się tuż przed nimi.
W małych klubach często nie ma fosy i trzeba robić zdjęcia z widowni. To dość trudne, zwłaszcza w ciasnocie, skaczącym tłumie itd.

8. Spełnianie marzeń nie zawsze jest łatwe. Pamiętam, że po każdym sezonie koncertowym byłam bardzo szczęśliwa, ale też niewyobrażalnie wymordowana fizycznie. Jednakże, aby stać się rozpoznawalnym trzeba bywać, pracować, być widocznym. Co sprawiło, że dotarłaś do punktu w którym jesteś ?

Praca, dużo pracy! I pasja. Wiele zarwanych nocy. Ciągłe uczenie się. Praca nad tym, aby twoje nazwisko ciągle się pojawiało w danym kontekście. Większość wolnego czasu w ostatnich latach spędziłam albo pracując nad webzinem, albo fotografią aby osiągnąć to co mam teraz. Straciłam niektórych przyjaciół.
Ale cieszę się z tego co mam, ludzi, których mam wokół siebie ponieważ wspierają mnie i nie wściekają, że mam tak mało czasu. Czy żałuję przeszłości? Ani chwili, chociaż czasem bywają momenty, kiedy zadaję sobie pytanie po co robię to wszystko. Nie mogłabym już inaczej – wkładam w to masę pracy i energii. Kocham to!


9. Czy masz wrażenie, że scena – zespoły i publiczność – zmieniły się przez ostatnie 10 lat? Czy Ty - jako jej część – także się zmieniłaś?
Zacznijmy ode mnie. Myślę, że mój gust muzyczny się poszerzył – inspiruje mnie znacznie więcej zespołów.
Jeśli chodzi o scenę, myślę, że się starzeje. W moim osobistym odczuciu nie ma zbyt wielkiego napływu świeżej krwi, a starsi wolą zostać w domu. A jeśli nawet pojawiają się nowe, wpływowe zespoły muszą się napracować aby zyskać aprobatę ze strony „starych wygów”.
Ale ciesze się, ze są takie zespoły jak KITE, HENRIC DE LA COUR, LEGEND or AGENT SIDE GRINDER, żeby wymienić kilku z moich faworytów. Wizualnie społeczność staje się bardziej kolorowa.


10. Co sprawia, że czujesz się szczęśliwa i spełniona?


W kwestii fotografii – kiedy zespoły mówią mi, że podobają się im moje prace i kiedy ludzie mówią, że przeżywają muzykę i koncerty od nowa patrząc na moje zdjęcia.
Poza fotografią jest wiele rzeczy, które mnie uszczęśliwiają. Lubię przebywać z przyjaciółmi, tańczyć, wychodzić do restauracji czy kina.
Uwielbiam przebywanie na łonie natury, kontemplowanie jej piękna. Uwielbiam dobre jedzenie i gotowanie. Lubię czytać książki czy oglądać dobre filmy.
Uwielbiam takie małe rzeczy jak słuchanie śpiewu ptaków o poranku czy oglądanie burzy z piorunami.
Myślę, że można znaleźć szczęście i spełnienie w małych rzeczach, które cię otaczają. Jedna z najlepszych rzeczy jakie ostatnio przeczytałam : nie szukaj idealnego momentu, spraw aby każdy moment był idealny.
To wyjaśnia wszystko :)




11. Kiedyś czytałam, że tylko ludzie, którzy całkowicie poświęcają się swojemu celowi osiągają go. Zgadzasz się z tym, czy raczej uważasz, że można robić inne rzeczy i osiągnąć sukces?


Myślę, że poświęcenie się kompletnie swojemu celowi nie musi oznaczać poświęcania mu całego czasu tylko serca i duszy. I to jest właśnie to co robię. Myślę, że jeśli nie zarabiam na fotografii i muszę robić cokolwiek aby zarobić – gdzie jest w tym miejsce dla sztuki? W moim przypadku – mam pracę gdzie zarabiam na utrzymanie i mam wolność robienia takich zdjęć jak chcę. Nie muszę zarabiać na zdjęciach i mam w tym sporo swobody. Wolę taki układ niż uganianie się za okazjami do zarobku na zdjęciach. Poświęcenie się fotografii to wewnętrzna potrzeba, moje uczucia i ilość czasu jaką spędzam robiąc zdjęcia.
Obawiam się, że i tak spędzam nad tym więcej czasu niż nad regularną praca zarobkową ;)


12. ..a to prowadzi do pytania co oznacza dla Ciebie „prawdziwy sukces”?


Na pewno nie zarabianie ton pieniędzy na zdjęciach (chociaż byłoby miło;) ale budowanie reputacji jako fotografa. To, ze moje nazwisko pojawia się w rozmowach o najlepszych fotografach koncertowych. Lub kiedy ludzie mówią, ze jestem ich ulubionym fotografem koncertowym, że uwielbiają moje zdjęcia.
13. Czy jest jakaś książka lub film, które wpłynęły na Ciebie w szczególny sposób, które są dla Ciebie ważne?

Jest kilka takich filmów. Lubię mroczną, apokaliptyczną atmosferę filmów takich jak Mroczne Miasto czy Pitch Black. Myślę, że ten klimat jest widoczny tez w moich zdjęciach. Lubię czarno białe zdjęcia o wysokim kontraście gdzie emocje artystów i publiczności są ważniejsze niż kolorowe efekty świetlne.


14. Wspominałaś, że lubisz przebywanie posr ód natury – czy jest jakieś miejsce, w którym czujesz się jak w domu ?

Tak, jest takie miejsce. Bardzo blisko domu gdzie mieszkam jest mały lasek z łąką i wspaniałych ogromnym drzewem i ławką pod nim. Lubię tam siedzieć, czuć słońce i wiatr i słuchać odgłosów natury.


15. I ostatnie pytanie – co jeszcze chciałabyś osiągnąć?
Na pewno ma to związek z zespołami, które chciałabym jeszcze sfotografować. Chciałabym pracować z tymi naprawdę znanymi. I nie tylko jako fotograf prasowy, ale też współpracujący z zespołem – tam mogłabym pokazać moje umiejętności. Mam wiele pomysłów na małe i duże koncerty – oby tylko nie było ograniczeń gdzie i jak mogę zrobić zdjęcia.




DZIĘKUJĘ!


*lead pic by Annie Bertram
*Prace Dani:

Popular Posts